This is a recipe I received when I brought a hello Fresh box a number of years ago, but it is one of our all time favourite meals to cook so thought I would share it with you if you wanted to do it at home. It is so easy, not to mention delicious. I think if I every did a “come dine with me” I would do this.
Do excuse the bad quality photo I always forget to take proper photos.
Ingredients you will need for 2 people:
- 2 x pork chops or steaks
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove (grated or crushed)
- 2 Apples
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 3 rashers of bacon
- Water – 75ml
What to do next:
- First, chop your potatoes into wedges, don’t need to peel, place on a baking tray and drizzle with oil and salt then place in the oven for approx 30-35 minutes. While they are cooking, slice half the onion and cut one half into half moons to go in with your potatoes and finely chop the rest and leave to one side for later.
2. Peel and grate/crush the garlic then do the same for the apple and chop into small pieces approximately 1cm.
3. Heat up a glug of oil in a medium saucepan, add the chopped onions, cook these for about 5 mins, then add the apples and a pinch of sugar and 75ml of water. Season with salt and pepper and then cover with a lid, cook for 10 mins. After this time break up the apples and add a pinch more sugar and cook for a further 10-12 mins with the lid off or until soft.
4. Once the above apples and onions are cooked leave them to one side and in the same pan add a it more oil and add the bacon rashers. Cook these for about 4-5 mins and turning over halfway through cooking until really crispy. Once cooked remove and place on a plate with kitchen roll to soak up the oil.
5. Next, add a drizzle more oil (keep on medium heat). Season the pork with salt and pepper on both sides and cook in the pan for 5-6 mins on one side, turn and cook for a further 5-6 mins on the other side. Once cooked removed and cover with foil and leave to one side.
6. Last but not least put a drizzle more oil in the pan, add your crushed/grates garlic and add your bag of spinach, this will only need a couple of minutes to cook.
7. Finally, assemble and serve up, you can either slice the pork roughly into 1 cm thick pieces or leave as a whole piece. Crumble over the bacon and serve with potato wedges, garlicky spinach and apple sauce.
Would love to hear your reviews on this if you decide to have ago at cooking it up at home.